Great Taste, organised by the Guild of Fine Food, is the acknowledged benchmark for fine food and drink. It has been described as the ‘Oscars’ of the food world and the ‘epicurean equivalent of the Booker prize’. Where you see the Great Taste logo, this is the sign you can trust when buying food and drink in your local, quality retailer! Wild Geese Trading Co has been a fan of these awards for years now, every year devouring the winners list to track down interesting new foods to taste and fine foods to stock, with a particular focus on the Irish winners.
In 2017 over 500 judges, including specially trained food writers inputting judges’ comments, came together at 62 judging days from March through to early July. This year the Great Taste judging roadshow took a turn at the impressive Llandrillo College, north Wales, as guests of the Welsh Government. The judge at specialist test centres for tea, filter coffee and espresso with the remainder of the judging days at Guild HQ in Dorset and their new London venue and permanent home close to Borough Market. The judges, from all corners of the food world, blind-taste in teams of 3 or 4 ensuring they get a balance of expertise, age and gender.
The winners are all genuine food people who care about the quality of food and drink they produce. Those producers entered 12,366 products with only 165 foods achieving the highest and most coveted rating- three stars. 1011 foods scored 2 stars while 3171 were awarded 1 star. That means only 35% of entries were accredited – it’s tough but the awards truly award the best of the best.
The Golden Forks (the big winners) are announced at a celebration dinner at the in London on the 4th September. Previous local winners include James Whelan Butchers for their fabulous beef dripping and Dunnes Stores with their Simply Better Sticky Toffee Pudding.
Here's a list of Wild Geese Trading Co producers who won something this year! Unfortunately we haven't got all the winning items in stock but we do have a lot of them. In fact, most of our stock is award winning- either previous Great Taste or Blas na hEireann winners- all well worth seeking out and having a taste!
Grahams Horseradish – 3 stars
Smoky Brae Smoky Brae Smoked BBQ Rub – 1 star
Nutmost Activated Nuts
- Tamari Almond – 3 stars
- Nutmost Maple Activated Walnuts – 2 stars
- Himalayan Salted Activated Almonds – 1 star
Mella’s Salted Caramel Fudge – 2 stars
Ballyhoura Mountain Mushrooms
- Raspberry Vinegar – 2 stars
- Strawberry Vinegar – 1 star
- Smoked Shiitake Butter – 1 star
- Wild Garlic Butter – 1 star
- White Truffle Butter – 1 star
- Vegetarian Dashi Mix – 1 star
- Shroom-umami – 1 star
- Mushroom Feast – 1 star
Wild Irish Foragers Dandelion Petal Shrub – 2 stars
- Blackberry and Thyme – 2 stars
- Strawberry and Mint – 1 star
- Armagh Bramley Apple – 1 star
- Paleo Bread Mix – 1 star
- Paleo Vanilla Cake Mix – 1 star
- Sheridans Cheesemongers Irish Brown Bread Crackers – 1 star
- Sheridans Cheesemongers Irish Rye & Linseed Crackers – 1 star
Isle of Crackers Flaxseed Cracker with Black Olive – 1 star
- Sourdough Crispbread Caraway – 2 star
- Sourdough Crispbread Original – 1 star
- Sourdough Crispbread Seeded Wholegrain – 1 star
- Sourdough Crispbread Pink Peppercorn – 1 star
- Sourdough Crispbread Bites Sea Salt – 1 star
Popsy Daisy Irish Whiskey Salted Caramel Popcorn – 1 star
- Atlantic Sea Salt & Irish Cider Vinegar Potato Crisps – 1 star
- Just a Pinch of Irish Atlantic Sea Salt – 1 star
Miena's Handmade Nougat - Almond, Lemon & Coconut 1 star
Achill Island Sea Salt – 1 star