A lot of people would say, "You had me at Sea Salted Caramel Sauce" but if you're a fan of Chocolate and Chilli, try this, I dare you...
Could also make a nice base for a dressing or a glaze- bit of good oil and vinegar. Will experiment with that one and let you know!
Ingredients:200g white sugar
100g butter, cubed
100ml creme fraiche (or double cream)
1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
Half teaspoon of Smoky Brae Smoked Chilli Flakes
- Have all your ingredients measured out and within reach- you'll need them to hand as things start heating up.
- Place the sugar in a wide, heavy-bottomed pan and add the water- make sure all the sugar gets well doused. Give the pan an aul' swirl if there's anything dry.
- Put your pot over a medium heat, keep an eye on it as the sugar melts and begins to brown.
- Once it turns a deep- but not dark- amber colour (approx 6-7 minutes), remove from the the heat and whisk in the butter until it is completely melted.
- Next, stir in the creme fraiche (or cream), half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of the smoked chilli flakes.
- Once you have a smooth sauce, get out your tasting spoon, allow to cool, and taste for seasoning- add more salt or chilli if you like.
- Use immediately or store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Options- don't like chilli but like salt? Use Smoked Sea Salt instead for a different twist!