1Kg mixed ripe tomatoes- try different shapes and colors. Those heirloom ones are fun.
Achill Island Sea Salt
Fresh ground black pepper
A pinch dried oregano
Red wine or balsamic vinegar
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic peeled and grated
1 fresh red chilli, seeded and chopped
1. Chop up the tomatoes in different way, sliced, halved or quartered and mix them all up
2. Place the tomatoes in a colander and add a good couple of pinches of the sea salt. Leave to sit for a bit, then toss, season again, toss again.
3. Leave to sit for another little bit, around 15 minutes. Liquid will be starting to run off now- let it. Place the colander over a bowl so there's no mess! Discard the juice.
4. Transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl and add the oregano- if you can get the dried flowering kind, do try. The other dried stuff in the press will do fine but it can be a little bland.
5. Make a dressing using one part wine or balsamic vinegar to three parts oil, add the garlic and chilli.
6. Serve with buffalo mozzarella (Macroom- gorgeous!), some toasted ciabatta and your beautiful homemade salad dressing with a twist of fresh black pepper :)