Wild Irish Sea Veg Organic Irish Carrageen 50g
Carrageen Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus) 50 Gram Pack
With delicate fronds and a deep pink colour, Irish Moss has a long history in Western cuisine. It is a good gelling agent suited to desserts and savoury dishes alike. It is traditionally used in the treatment of colds. It is harvested by hand where it is cut just above the root to ensure the re-growth of the algae.
Other Names: Carragheen, Carraigin, Mastocarpus stellatus
Type: Red Algae
Taste: Slightly sweet with an intense shellfish flavour
Texture: Has a pleasant bite to it when gently boiled. Smooth, light texture in sauces and jellies.
To rehydrate: Soak in cold water for up to 5 minutess with a little salt
Salted: Wash salt off thoroughly before use
Fresh: Rinse thoroughly before use
Gel: Simmer in milk or water for around 10-20 mins, strain before use.
Suggestions for Use:
- For best results, simmer for around 10 mins before eating (no longer than 30 mins). For a stiff gel simmer for a little longer.
- Boil or steam for use in pasta sauces, with rice/risotto, accompaniment to fish, added to fish pies, stews, patties and croquettes.
- Bake use as a bed for baked fish and chowders.
- Cold pickled, added to salads.
- Thickener for sauces and soups.
- Gel for ice cream, jelly, mousse and blancmange.
- Goes well with: Fish and seafood, milk, citrus, vinegar, ginger, honey, foie gras.
(Thank you Wild Irish Seaweed for all the great info!)